From Our Files, August 5 2022

1997: Pipers Laura McCallum and Lorne MacDougall with their trophies.
1997: Pipers Laura McCallum and Lorne MacDougall with their trophies.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Friday August 3, 2012

Wind of change at turbine factory

A change in shareholdings at the Machrihanish wind turbine factory is a positive move for its future.

It was exclusively revealed to the Campbeltown Courier on Wednesday that Scottish and Southern Energy (SSE) are taking over as the main shareholder.

Previously Marsh Wind Technology Ltd and SSE where in partnership with support from Highlands and Islands Enterprise.

Along with the new ownership structure, the company name will now change to Wind Towers (Scotland) Ltd, as the new venture is taken on by SSE.

The agreement is in the process and was expected to be finalised towards the end of this week.

The workforce was informed on Tuesday when they arrived back from annual leave.

David Steele, head of business development, exclusively told the Courier on Wednesday: ‘For us here at Wind Towers, having a large Scottish company as the majority shareholder is a positive thing.

‘Fundamentally, Wind Towers (Scotland) Ltd is in a good position and we have continuing work to build a good business here with long-term prospects.

‘The new name will define our brand more in the Scottish market.’

Victor Stirling, head of performance for onshore renewables at SSE, said: ‘We don’t run the factory; the staff work for Wind Towers (Scotland) Ltd and we help the management along the way.

‘As far as personnel at the factory are concerned, nothing changes. The management team stays the same.

‘It will be the same amount of people, with the possibility of one or two more taken on in the future.’

According to Mr Steele, the future is bright for the facility, with the order books full until the end of the year.

‘It is looking positive for the next year also; we are very busy,’ he said.

2012: Henrietta Jones has a ride on Clydesdale horse Bob owned by George Robertson. The two-year-old girl jumped at the opportunity to sit on the back of the gentle giant at Saturday’s Largieside Ploughing Match at Ferry Farm, Tayinloan.
2012: Henrietta Jones has a ride on Clydesdale horse Bob owned by George Robertson. The two-year-old girl jumped at the opportunity to sit on the back of the gentle giant at Saturday’s Largieside Ploughing Match at Ferry Farm, Tayinloan.

Friday August 1, 1997

Highland games success for pipers

Two of our Campbeltown pipers have been touring the Highland games circuit recently, picking up several top honours for their efforts along the way.

Lorne MacDougall won the John Andrew MacMillan Cup in the junior piping competition at the Southend Highland Games.

Laura McCallum won the Duke of Argyll Trophy for the March, Strathspey and Reel in the under-18 category at the Inveraray Games.

Lorne also came second in the March and third in the Strathspey and Reel under-15 sections at the Inveraray Games while at the Southend Highland Games, Laura came second in the March and second in the Strathspey and Reel in the under-15 categories.

Fury over cutbacks in aid for Islay elderly

Islay’s elderly and infirm can look forward to a cold winter because Argyll and Bute Council has forbidden its home helps to light fires for them.

The council’s social services department looks set to spend too much money on the island, and so cuts have had to be made.

A council spokesman said only Islay would be affected.

Last week, letters went out to people who have home helps telling them the cleaning out and lighting of fires would end on August 16.

Angry at the way their old and frail folk have been treated, a meeting was called at Port Ellen on Tuesday night, and a petition is going around the island.

Port Ellen GP Dr Jean Knowles is furious at the council for stopping the service and for the way in which it is being withdrawn.

‘Are we to be faced with an epidemic of hypothermia in winter?’ she said.

‘What of the fuel supplies which people already have built up in anticipation of the colder months?

‘Home health services are provided to the elderly and vulnerable in the community – heating and warmth are basic needs.’

A spokesman for Argyll and Bute Council said that a review of social services had been called for Islay when it became clear that the budget would be exceeded by the end of this financial year.

‘So a decision was taken to reduce the projected overspend by withdrawing less essential aspects of the service’, the spokesman added.

‘In the summer months, it seemed an appropriate and immediate saving could be made on the fire clearing and lighting service.’

Argyll and Bute will continue to review the weather and other aspects will be taken into account as to when or if the fire lighting service will be reintroduced.

The council will also be looking at other services which might be reduced, like dusting.

Thursday August 3, 1972

Northern Ireland – the Argylls go in

It was a blazing hot summer afternoon by the NATO jetty; all was still except for a man sitting on the seawall listening to the test match on the radio. Then suddenly they were there.

First came the three tonners, then the buses with the troops and the 34 Land Rovers.

Three companies of the Argylls were on the way to Northern Ireland.

This was no ceremonial arrival in the Royal Burgh of which they have the freedom; no bands played. They were in battle order, not kilts.

They were hot, tired after a long bus trip, but they were fit. They obviously meant business.

1972: The Argylls embarking for Northern Ireland.
1972: The Argylls embarking for Northern Ireland.

RQMS Alex Derek, from Peebles, saw them and their equipment safely embarked on the transport ship Sir Bedivere.

Before he left the quay head, the officer in charge the Battalion Adjutant Captain Anthony Neilson said: ‘This is a tremendous challenge. Whatever we’re asked to do, we’ll do it to the best of our ability.’

And an official spokesman added: ‘And in typical Argyll fashion.’

The shoreside efficiency was complete and in an astonishingly short time the troops and equipment were loaded and away.

We wish them very well.

Thursday August 7, 1952

Six-foot Grammar School sports champion signs for Kilmarnock

John McCorkindale, the 17-year-old 6ft 6inch Campbeltown Grammar School sports champion, has signed forms for Kilmarnock, the Scottish second division club.

The signing was carried out at the weekend in Campbeltown, Kilmarnock manager Mr Malcolm Macdonald travelling to complete the deal.

John has been playing Junior for some time – outside left for Glenside.

Recently a Hull City representative had his eyes on the big young fellow and other clubs appeared to be interested, but seemed slow to put pen to paper.

He was Grammar School sports champion in June for the second year in succession.

1952: John McCorkindale.
1952: John McCorkindale.

Kilmarnock is on the lookout for likely youngsters and, according to one sports writer, by their decision to sponsor an under-18s team, Kilmarnock has started a new move.

The Rugby Park manager will coach the boys himself but the same writer points out that as it means writing a £200 check to sign a junior player, many clubs will think twice before recruiting players from minor ranks.

In the trial match on Saturday, McCorkindale scored one of the goals and made a most promising debut.