Jail for chef who assaulted his ex

Campbeltown Sheriff Court.
Campbeltown Sheriff Court.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

A former chef at the Ugadale Hotel has been sent to jail for 12 months for seriously assaulting his ex-partner.

At the June sitting of Campbeltown Sheriff Court, Sheriff Patrick Hughes said he had ‘no alternative’ but to hand down a custodial sentence to Ross McGuiness who had admitted the assault which happened in a room at the hotel on July 1 last year.

McGuiness, aged 31, also admitted breaching bail conditions not to contact his partner which were in place at the time of the incident.

He told the court, in mitigation, that he had slapped the women after she hit him with a chair.

At an earlier hearing, the court had been told that McGuiness, of 79 Kelvin Gardens, Hamilton, had demanded to see her mobile phone, became aggressive, seized her by the arms, then by the neck, and held his hand over her nose and mouth, causing her breathing to be restricted.

The woman was left with soft tissue damage and bruising across her body.

Sheriff Hughes had asked for reports to be prepared prior to sentencing.

At last week’s sitting, McGuiness said in mitigation the couple had been arguing, he was accused of being unfaithful and that his ex-partner had struck him with a chair when his back was turned, breaking one of its legs.

He said she was injured as she fell against a coffee table.

One of the police officers who attended the incident told the court that McGuiness met them at the hotel and told them: ‘I slapped her with an open hand after she hit me with a chair.’

The officer added that the woman appeared ‘very distressed and was crying’.

The officer said McGuiness ‘made no attempt to run and was upfront’ at the hotel but, at the police station, he refused to engage in an interview.

As well as the 12 months in jail for assault, Sheriff Hughes sentenced McGuiness to four weeks for breaching bail, to run concurrently.