Spring sparks lifeboat rescues

Campbeltown's all-weather lifeboat rescued a motor cruiser with engine failure. Photograph: Graham Hall.
Campbeltown's all-weather lifeboat rescued a motor cruiser with engine failure. Photograph: Graham Hall.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Campbeltown Lifeboat Station is urging people to take care as they enjoy the warmer and calmer weather of spring after carrying out two rescue operations in recent weeks.

The town’s all-weather lifeboat, Ernest and Mary Shaw, was first launched by HM Coastguard at 2pm on Sunday March 20 to assist a family of four and their dog cut-off by the tide while visiting Davaar Island.

Once the Severn class lifeboat – the biggest in the fleet – arrived on scene, it used its smaller Y-class inflatable lifeboat to go ashore to where the family and dog were waiting.

The volunteer crew then shuttled the family and dog over to the all-weather lifeboat two-at-a-time.

Once the family was safely onboard, the Y-class lifeboat was recovered and the family was taken back to the harbour where their family awaited their safe return.

The town’s RNLI volunteers were once again tasked by HM Coastguard at 4.55pm on Sunday, to rescue a 28-foot-long motor cruiser that had engine failure at the entrance to Campbeltown Loch.

The all-weather Ernest and Mary Shaw was launched to assist the mariners who had anchored closely into the shore while they awaited assistance from the lifeboat and its crew.

The Y-class lifeboat was launched for two crew to head to the anchored vessel. They were able to assist the lift of the anchor and then tow the vessel into deeper waters, closer to the all-weather lifeboat.

The volunteers then established the main towline between the all-weather lifeboat and the vessel with engine trouble.

Once the Y-class lifeboat was recovered, the stricken vessel was towed back into Campbeltown harbour.

Once both vessels were closer inshore, the all-weather lifeboat rafted up side-by-side with the casualty vessel to allow a safe berth at the yacht pontoons.

At 6.10pm the all-weather lifeboat and its volunteer crew returned to station.

‘If you become cut-off by the tide or you see others affected, please stand back from the water,’ said an RNLI spokesperson.

‘Dial 999 and ask for the coastguard which will launch the appropriate authorities.’