2005s suffer first loss despite heroic effort

Left back Ryan Harding is having an exceptional season for Pupils U17s. Photograph: Kenny Craig.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Campbeltown Pupils YFC 1-2 St Patrick’s Sports Academy
Glasgow and District YFL – 2005s/Under 17s

Scott Graham was outstanding in the middle of the park against a midfield packed with class. Photograph: Helen Phillips. NO_CC11_PupilsU17s_Scott Graham

Campbeltown Pupils YFC 2005s’ fine unbeaten run finally came to an end as they went down 2-1 to St Patrick’s SA at home on Sunday.

With St Patrick’s winning the toss the Ardshiel Hotel-sponsored side faced gale force winds and pouring rain for the entirety of the first 45 minutes.

For 35 minutes the youngsters also endured an onslaught of attacks and kept the score line to 0-0 with the occasional break in to the fierce wind with Ryan Shields, Kyle Danson and Calum Ellis unlucky not to score.

In the 36th minute the visitors finally took the lead – a well-drilled corner caught the Pupils napping as the ball was swung in from the St Pats right back to be met with a glancing header from Lewis Bierey to leave Lorne Paterson in the Pupils goal with no chance.

Seven minutes later the Lanarkshire side made it 2-0. A free kick on the right side was drilled in low only to be carried faster by the gust of winds and despite Paterson’s valiant efforts found its way in to the net.

Ironically as both teams took the half-time break the rain stopped and the wind died down and the home side were unfortunate not to have the advantage of the weather as the second 45 started.

Calum Ellis pulled one back with 18 minutes remaining as the lively striker outpaced the St Patrick’s defence and produce a superb finish leaving Sharkey in the St Pats goal no chance.

The visitors themselves played composed football in the second half electing to play the ball on the ground at any chance they had and tested the Pupils defence a few times only to be met by further resilience and a couple of good saves from Paterson in the Pupils goal.

Despite a couple of final chances the score line was to finish 2-1 to the visitors who climbed to the top of the table ahead of the Pupils.

Speaking after the game Pupils manager David Paterson said: ‘That was a heroic performance by our boys in the first 45 minutes.

‘I’m sure that will be the worst conditions they will ever face and they were so unlucky to be trailing by two goals at half time.

‘We just couldn’t get going in the second half which largely goes down to St Pats who never gave our boys any time on the ball.

‘We’re immensely proud of the boys this season – to get to the middle of March and suffer your first defeat is incredible and with 10 games remaining there is still all to play for.

‘There are a number of teams in this league capable of taking points off each other so we’ve a lot to look forward to and in some respects it isn’t a bad thing to suffer defeat and get that monkey off our back.

‘Every one of the lads can be proud of their performance against a side who were comfortably beating us a couple of seasons ago.

This Sunday the Under 17s host Ashfield Juniors at home with kick off to be confirmed.