From Our Files, November 5 2021

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Friday November 4, 2011

Victory number five for Skernish Clydesdales

It was victory number five for the Skerish Clydesdale team for this year’s competition season.

Neil MacPhail and Michael Mayberry travelled for six hours with their fleet to the Muir of Ord at the end of last month in preparation for the Scottish Ploughing Championships.

Not only did the team win the broken furrow class and the Greenhill Trophy, they also continued their success on the second day of competitions by taking a second in the whole furrow class, the King’s Cup for the best crown, feering, straightest and finish, and the Lauderdale Challenge Cup for overall champion.

They were also awarded the prizes for best mare and best gelding.

During the weekend, 139 competitors in both tractor and horse classes took part in a barley stubble field with dry weather making it the ideal conditions for horses Ceilidh and Tommy at Croftcrunie farm.

The ploughing year started well for the duo with a victory at Campbeltown, followed by Lorn, Largie and Bute, completing the year with a total of five victories under their belts.

Friday November 1, 1996

All change!

Changes have been made to the bus service provision in Kintyre, following discussions between Argyll and Bute Council, SPT and West Coast Motors.

Some services, which records show are not being used, principally to RAF Machrihanish following withdrawal of personnel in April, and early morning and late evening local services, have been withdrawn.

There are also some time changes being made to simplify timetables and the Sunday services are being rescheduled with an extra journey to Carradale introduced to provide a better service for passengers on the route.

Twice daily connections to the Loganair terminal are also being retained.

West Coast Motors is retaining all its commercially registered services and Scottish City Link will continue to operate a twice weekly morning run from Lochgilphead to Campbeltown for the winter period, connecting with the Gigha ferry at Tayinloan and calling in at all villages on the way.

Mr Blair Fletcher of Argyll and Bute Council’s roads department said that it had been a useful exercise to remove unnecessary services, to reduce the amount of subsidy being paid, to improve the level of service provision particularly on Sundays and to ensure that the council was receiving value for the money being paid for the services.

He felt that on the basis of information provided by the operator a fair balance had been achieved in retaining the network introduced by SPT in January 1995 but further monitoring of passenger numbers would be continued and changes would be made as required.

Thursday November 4, 1971

Duke boards nuclear sub at NATO jetty

The Duke of Edinburgh yesterday became the first member of the royal family ever to dive in a nuclear submarine when he boarded HMS Churchill at the POL jetty in Campbeltown Loch.

After meeting Campbeltown Provost William Craig, town clerk Mr William Wilson, Mr Kenneth MacKinnon, Chief Constable of Argyll, and Mr W McKinnon, officer in charge of the NATO depot, the Prince climbed aboard Churchill and the submarine put to sea for a secret rendezvous somewhere off the west coast.

Prince Philip flew into RAF Machrihanish on Tuesday evening. A car sped him to Bellgrove, home of Rear Admiral RW Mayo, where he spent the night.

After being entertained by the Rear Admiral, the Duke was driven along the Esplanade, along Hall Street and down Kilkerran Road yesterday morning.

After spending a few minutes at the jetty, the Duke put to sea. He appeared on the submarine’s conning tower as she nosed her way clear of the pier and out of the loch.

Welcoming him aboard Churchill, which is the latest submarine of the Dreadnought class, were the flag officer submarines, Vice Admiral JCY Roxburgh CB CBE DSO DSC and Captain 3rd Submarine Squadron, Captain M Wemyss.

On his return, the Duke inspected a guard of honour of the Campbeltown detachment of the Sea Cadets Corps.

In 1971: It was a day young Archie Martin won't forget for a long time for the Duke of Edinburgh spent minutes of his tight schedule chatting to him as the most junior member of the Campbeltown Sea Cadet Unit.
In 1971: It was a day young Archie Martin won’t forget for a long time for the Duke of Edinburgh spent minutes of his tight schedule chatting to him as the most junior member of the Campbeltown Sea Cadet Unit.

The cadets were under the command of Lieutenant Jones Sub Lieutenant W Craig and Guard Officer PLM Stewart.

He then travelled through Campbeltown to RAF Machrihanish, where an aircraft of the Queen’s Flight was waiting to take off. Strict security precautions for the Duke’s visit were enforced.

Police lined the Esplanade and police vehicles drove in front of and behind the Royal car. More civil and Admiralty police were on duty at the POL depot.

In addition, blue-shirted security men drafted into the area were on constant watch throughout the borough.

The Duke is the first member of the royal family to spend a night in the town since 1935, when the Duke of Windsor stayed in the property now known as Barochan House.

Saturday November 5, 1921

Lifeboat called out – steamer in trouble off Sanda

On Monday night shortly after 6 o’clock Campbeltown lifeboat had a call to the Mull of Kintyre; telegraphic information coming from Southend said that a large steamer, apparently disabled, was drifting in the vicinity of Patterson’s Reef, a locality having a tragic record in the matter of shipwrecks.

A severe gale was blowing, with heavy sea and blinding rain, and the lifeboat had a very rough journey.

On reaching the reef it was found that the disabled vessel was a very large steamer, that she had met with a mishap to her rudder, but that the anchors had been got out and were holding, although the vessel was dangerously near the reef.

The steamer, being fitted with wireless, was in communication with the mainland, and tugs were expected from the Clyde in the morning.

The lifeboat crew were unable to make out the vessel’s name owing to the storm and darkness, and, having ascertained that their services were not required, returned to port.

The steamer in question turned out to be the American liner Celestial, 40,000 tons, bound for Glasgow from San Francisco.

The tugs arrived on Tuesday morning, and the disabled boat was towed to the Tail-of-the-Bank.