Three points for unbeaten Pupils under-17s

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Ashfield Juniors 1
Campbeltown Pupils YFC 2
GDYFL – 2005s/U17s

Campbeltown Pupils 2005s (under-17s) continued their impressive start to the season with a brilliant 2-1 away to Ashfield Juniors in Glasgow on Sunday.

Playing only their second game in seven weeks, the Ardshiel Hotel-sponsored side showed no signs of the early departure for the 12.15pm kick-off at Glasgow Club Milton and had the better of the early exchanges.

On a bumpy grass pitch, both teams found it difficult but it was the Campbeltown side that took the lead after 18 minutes with a fantastic goal from Scott Graham.

As the Pupils pressed, the ball broke to Graham on the edge of the 18-yard box and the young midfielder danced round two Ashfield defenders before cutting back onto his favoured left foot and sending a full curling chip shot from 16 yards that left the Ashfield keeper with no chance.

It was a real contender for goal of the season from Graham who has grasped the opportunity to play in the middle of the park with both hands.

Ashfield levelled the scoring 10 minutes later when a shot took a wicked bounce on the uneven surface and cannoned off Pupils keeper Lorne Paterson’s chest and the Ashfield forward was able to poke the ball home.

Both sides had their chances as the first half played out with Ciaran Gibson, Calum Ellis and Ryan Shields all going close and Paterson producing a fantastic one-handed save from an Ashfield shot.

The Pupils grasped the lead in the 44th minute in controversial fashion as Shields sent a long through pass to Ellis who broke free – and despite the shouts for offside – kept his composure to round the Ashfield keeper and prod the ball home.

The Ashfield centre-half took umbrage at Ellis, and chased him before kicking and
shoving the Pupils’ top goal-scorer to the ground only for the referee to declare he saw nothing and book the centre-half.

The second half continued to be a pretty even affair with the surface conducive to stopping the Pupils playing any free-flowing football.

The discipline of Ashfield was to cost them as they were reduced to 10 players with 35 minutes remaining, as their right-back took a wild swing at Graham as the midfielder raced by him, followed by a stamp which resulted in a straight red card.

Ashfield continued to search for a leveller but the Pupils really should have put the game beyond doubt with a number of chances going a-begging.

Paterson and Scott Oman, his replacement in goal, produced fine saves as the game came to a conclusion and it was the young Pupils side that grabbed all three points to continue their unbeaten start to the season with seven wins and a draw so far.

On Sunday, the under-17s travel to Glasgow to play league leaders Glasgow Athletic in a huge game. Kick off is at noon at Glasgow Club Crownpoint.