Beware of autumn dangers to pets

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?

 

Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Blue Cross pet charity is warning dog owners to be vigilant around conkers and acorns which can poison their pets if eaten.

Some owners may throw conkers for pets to catch without realising the activity is potentially fatal.

Dogs can easily swallow conkers which can become lodged in their throat or intestines and dogs with blockages, or suspected blockages, could need surgery to remove them.

Dogs may also chew and eat conkers and acorns which could cause vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, restlessness with discomfort and pain and loss of appetite.

For more information, visit www.bluecross.org.uk/autumn.