Want to read more?
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
A 31-year-old man walked free from Campbeltown Sheriff Court last week; at the end of his trial Sheriff Patrick Hughes said the evidence he had heard had not satisfied him beyond reasonable doubt.
Peter Gamble, of 4 Lady Mary Row, denied five charges against him following an incident in the town’s Bolgam Street on March 12 this year.
The crown accepted his plea of not guilty to three of the charges and the court heard evidence of the other two, of assaulting a man to his injury and being in possession of an offensive weapon, in this case a jack handle.
As he handed down his verdict of not proven, the sheriff said that there were instances of substantial discrepancies in the evidence given by witnesses.