Woman tipped foul-smelling water over man

Campbeltown Sheriff Court.
Campbeltown Sheriff Court.

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall.

However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.

The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.


We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A 50-year-old Campbeltown woman told the town’s court she had accidentally poured foul-smelling water over a neighbour’s son on a scorching hot day last summer.

But after her trial last week, she was found guilty of acting in a threatening or abusive manner.

Adela Stimson of 4 Pensioners Row, New Quay Street, denied the offence when she appeared before Sheriff Patrick Hughes last week.

In his evidence, the man said he was sitting on a bench while his young child played with their grandparent when he was soaked from above.

‘Something poured over me, over my head, the back of my head and down my neck. It was awful-smelling.’

He added: ‘I got straight up, and saw a window open and there were drops of water coming down off the window.’

He described the water as ‘vinegary smelling’ and ‘rancid’. It was the man’s brother who called the police.

The day this happened, July 21 last year, had been very hot and sunny.

Stimson, who lived in a flat above, told the officers that it had been an accident; she had opened the window and knocked over the glass. The window opened at an angle.

Constable Alan Wallace said that the window had a sill and a lip which would have prevented the glass from tipping to the extent that a large amount of water would have been spilled.

‘You could see water residue on the window,’ he said.

In court, the 50-year-old woman said she had been warm, opened the window and the glass tipped, spilling some water and then she emptied the rest out. It had not occurred to her that someone might be sitting below.

She panicked about telling the police she had done that, her defence agent Stephen MacSporran told the court.

The glass contained a salt-water solution which had been there for two weeks.

‘I was lying on the bed. Listening to music, a meditation, it was very warm, I opened the windows,’ Stimson said, ‘the glass tipped over. I was entirely unaware of people outside.’

‘There was no deliberate act; this is entirely an accident,’ said Mr MacSporran.

The sheriff deferred sentence for four months for Stimson to be of good behaviour.

‘This was a deeply unpleasant thing to happen to anyone and frightening,’ he said.