Want to read more?
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
NFU Mutual has offered the following advice to dog owners:
- Always keep dogs on the lead when walking in rural areas where livestock are kept but let go of the lead if you are chased by cattle;
- Be aware that even small dogs can chase, injure and kill farm animals;
- Take special care to keep close control of dogs unused to farm animals;
- Report attacks by dogs and sightings of dogs roaming the countryside to the police or local farmers;
- Don’t let dogs loose and unsupervised in gardens adjoining livestock fields – many attacks are caused by dogs which escape and attack sheep grazing nearby.