Want to read more?
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
technical support? Click here
NFU Mutual has offered the following advice to dog owners:
- Always keep dogs on the lead when walking in rural areas where livestock are kept but let go of the lead if you are chased by cattle;
- Be aware that even small dogs can chase, injure and kill farm animals;
- Take special care to keep close control of dogs unused to farm animals;
- Report attacks by dogs and sightings of dogs roaming the countryside to the police or local farmers;
- Don’t let dogs loose and unsupervised in gardens adjoining livestock fields – many attacks are caused by dogs which escape and attack sheep grazing nearby.