Obey order or face jail, sheriff warns man

Campbeltown Sheriff Court.
Campbeltown Sheriff Court.

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall.

However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.

The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.


We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A non-harassment order has been made against a 67-year-old man who would not take no for an answer and he must also pay his victim £500 compensation for the distress caused.

When he appeared before Campbeltown Sheriff Court last week, Robert Flockhart-Knox, of 10 Albyn Avenue, Campbeltown, admitted that his course of behaviour was abusive towards his ex-partner in that he repeatedly went to premises when she was there; shouted at her and, upon their relationship ending, he repeatedly contacted her, sent her a postcard and letter, left unwanted gifts on her doorstep, went to her property late in the evening and attempted to reconcile with her, knowing she did not want to reconcile, having been warned on two occasions by police officers to leave her alone.

The events happened between February 14 and October 28 last year at locations around Campbeltown, which are not named to protect the identity of his victim.

Procurator fiscal depute James Dunbar told the court that Flockhart-Knox had begun to visit charity premises where the complainer volunteered and a relationship developed.

This lasted no longer than 10 weeks and was ended by the woman because he shouted at her.

He then began to call at her home, stand on one of the two streets from where her home could be seen; send her mail, and leave gifts and flowers on her doorstep on the day of her birthday.

‘The woman told the police and Flockhart-Knox was spoken to by officers and told to leave her alone,’ the fiscal said, and added that when Flockhart-Knox did not he was arrested and charged.

He told the police he did not think he had done anything wrong.

Defence agent Charles Drummond said Flockhart-Knox was attempting reconciliation and ‘he should have known better’.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes told Flockhart-Knox that custody was always a consideration when he saw the word ‘domestic’ in a libel accompanied by a record like his. The sheriff handed down a fine of £400 as well as the £500 compensation order.

He also imposed a non-harassment order lasting five years, during which Flockhart-Knox must not contact or attempt to contact his victim by any means.

‘A breach will result in custody,’ Sheriff Hughes warned him.