Driving ban after crash with parked cars

Campbeltown Sheriff Court.

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall.

However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.

The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.


We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

A man has lost his driving licence and is now the subject of a community payback order after an incident which began at his home in Tayinloan.

On November 1 last year, James David Gibbs behaved aggressively towards his partner at their home, and then drove away dangerously, hitting two parked cars, while unfit due to drink or drugs.

The 41-year-old, who lives at Cara View, admitted the offences when he appeared before Campbeltown Sheriff Court on Thursday.

James Dunbar, procurator fiscal depute, said that an incident occurred at the house when Gibbs was aggressive and threatened his partner with violence.

He left the home and drove off in his employer’s van, striking two parked cars as he did so. Police stopped him at Tarbert and, concerned for his health, he was taken to hospital in Lochgilphead.

Sheriff Patrick Hughes had called for reports to be prepared on Gibbs at an earlier hearing.

Gibbs’ defence agent, Ruben Murdanaigum, told the sheriff: ‘He takes full responsibility for, and does not minimise, what he has done and is completely ashamed.’

Sheriff Hughes placed Gibbs on a community payback order for 12 months, during which he must engage with social workers on his rehabilitation to make sure there is no reoccurrence of his actions, and carry out 200 hours of unpaid work within 18 months.

He was also given two 12-month driving disqualifications which will run concurrently.