From Our Files, April 24, 2020

Margaret McSporran walks back to the terminal building at Campbeltown Airport after helping passengers board the morning flight to Glasgow on Tuesday, one of the few scheduled planes to fly that day.
Margaret McSporran walks back to the terminal building at Campbeltown Airport after helping passengers board the morning flight to Glasgow on Tuesday, one of the few scheduled planes to fly that day.

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Friday April 23, 2010

Beating the ash cloud

Getting back to Kintyre for work and school has been a challenge.

Kintyre people have been caught up in the travel chaos that has followed the eruption of a volcano in Iceland and the grounding of most of Europe’s scheduled airline services for days.

Campbeltown Airport managed to get a flight in and out on Tuesday – one of only a few in the UK that day.

Friends of Claire McLean of Killeonan Farm, near Stewarton, and Amy McCallum of Glebe Street, Campbeltown, have been following the sagas of their holidays as the pair keep them posted on Facebook of their attempts to get back to Kintyre.

Claire has posted: ‘Situation not getting any better so undertook the longest taxi drive ever…Prague to Brussels – 10 hours! Eurostar booked for tomorrow, so should be back home by lunch!’

Campbeltown Loch beach clean

More than 70 bags full of rubbish were collected from Campbeltown Loch during a beach clean recently.

The 30 volunteers cleaned 1,500 metres of beach around Campbeltown Loch and collected various items such as plastic bottles, fishermen’s gloves and food containers.

The event was organised by Campbeltown Beachwatch Group as part of Marine Conservation Society’s Beachwatch Big Weekend.

CAPTION: The 30 volunteers cleaned 1,500 metres of beach around Campbeltown Loch. NO_c17files02

Friday April 28, 1995

Local farm at centre of Anthrax scare given all-clear

Government scientists have given a Machrihanish farm the all-clear after a suspected outbreak of deadly anthrax.

The scare started when a Highland cow was found lying dead in a field at Ballygroggan Farm last Wednesday night. Blood samples were taken from the dead beast and it was decided that anthrax could not be ruled out.

The Scottish Office’s Agriculture and Fisheries Department was called in along with Strathclyde Police.

The cow was left where it died until two civilian animal health inspectors arrived wearing protective clothing to burn it.

They built a corrugated iron furnace around the cow before using bottled gas to burn it.

The ground around the body was also scorched and disinfected.

Meanwhile blood samples from the cow were sent to the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries Central Veterinary Laboratory at Weybridge in Surrey.

On Monday the laboratory said there was no trace of anthrax in the samples.

Anthrax, which can kill humans as well as domestic animals, is caused by bacteria which can lie dormant in the soil for years. It can take up to 14 days for the disease to take effect but once it does an affected cow can die within hours. In 1993 an outbreak of anthrax on a farm in Sutherland killed five cows.

Thursday April 23, 1970

Rhinns Of Islay ‘dying area’ fear

Ratepayers in Portnahaven and Port Wemyss are gravely concerned at the population drift and impending unemployment which threatens to turn the Rhinns of Islay into a ‘dying area’.

Last week more than 20 members of the area’s 130 residents met in the local school to discuss ways of attracting light industry to what they described as ‘the island’s black spot’.

They were joined by local councillors and the chairman and executive committee of the Islay Council of Social Service who are concerned about the welfare and future employment prospects of the island peninsula.

An Edinburgh-based knitwear company – presently seeking premises for a finishing factory on the island – has been offered the Portnahaven village hall by the Islay District Council which owns the building. The hall was recently described as a ‘white elephant’ and is seldom, if ever, used by the community.

Following a lively discussion the local ratepayers decided that the Edinburgh company should be given every encouragement to acquire the hall as factory space. Mr Toby Jamieson, the only teenager present, strongly opposed this decision as he considered that it robbed the village of a social centre. It was pointed out however that the area’s small teenage population seldom supported out-of-season functions in the village.

The proposed factory will employ 10 female workers, a secretary and manager. The district council are presently awaiting a visit from a representative of the company who will inspect the premises.

Saturday April 24, 1920

Penny Savings Bank – fostering habits of providence and thrift

The annual meeting of the Campbeltown and District Penny Savings Bank was held in the Coffee Room, Old Quay Head, on Thursday 16th inst. Bailie Campbell presided.

The secretary (Mr David Ralston) read the annual report as follows:- The trustees of the Campbeltown and District Penny Bank have pleasure in presenting this report for the year 1919 – the bank’s 43rd year.

The business done during the year attained considerable dimensions, both as regards the number of transactions recorded and the value of same. The total transactions numbered 4991, an average of about 96 per night – one less than the previous year.

The deposits were 4384, and the withdrawals 607. 170 new accounts were opened during the year, and at 31st December 649 accounts showed balances due to depositors.

The total amount of cash handled was £1566 4s 7d – £109 2s 8d less than previous year. The deposits amounted to £773 6s 9d and the withdrawals to £792 17s 10d. The average cash value of each transaction was £6s 3d, as compared with 6s 7d.

The balance at credit of the bank at the end of year was £269 4s 8d, being less than in 1918 by £17 3s 10d.

The trustees are pleased that the interest in the bank has been so well maintained. The statistics show that more than half the number of transactions were small sums under 2s 6d in amount, representing the operations of the youngest section of depositors, many of whom are very young and scarcely know the value of money. Several, indeed, are little tots brought by parents or other relatives, and are being taught a habit which, it is hoped, will bear fruit in later years.

The older depositors find the institution useful for the placing in safety of larger sums, which when they accumulate to £5 – the maximum allowed – are withdrawn and either transferred to the National Security Savings Bank or made use of for payment of house rents or other obligations.

And so the work of the bank goes on from year to year, bearing with it an influence which can only tend to the good of those who make use of the opportunity afforded of laying aside their savings.