Dramatic final minute sees young Pupils take points

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

Ashfield Juniors 2
Campbeltown Pupils Youth 3
GDYFL Division A – U15s

With a dramatic finish to the game the Pupils Youth Under 15s returned to Kintyre with all three points after a tight encounter played at Glasgow Club Milton on Sunday.

This was the first time the sides had met and the Pupils knew they would be in for another tough test on the road playing against a side which won the GADYFL B Division last season.

The visitors showed no signs of their early journey to the north end of Glasgow as they started brightly and enjoyed the majority of possession early in the game. However, it was the home side that took the lead on the 22nd minute when Ashfield’s centre forward cut in from the left before sending an unstoppable shot in to the top corner.

A test of character was required from the boys as they fell behind and with five minutes of the half remaining they were rewarded after a corner dropped to Stuart Phillps in the box. The young forward adjusted his feet quickly to send a beautiful curling shot past everyone to make it 1-1.

Fifteen minutes into the second half the Pupils took the lead. New signing Raphael MacLachlan, playing in only his second appearance for the 2005s, sent in a delightful whipped corner that brushed off the Ashfield centre-half into the goal to make it 2-1. The Clachan youngster can be proud of his impact on the game and is already proving to be a valuable addition to the team.

As the Pupils pressed for their third of the game a long ball evaded the defence to allow the Ashfield number 7 in again to equalise with 15 minutes remaining.

As the game drew to a close, it looked like both sides would share the points until a dramatic final minute. A long clearance by Ashfield was misjudged by the Pupils defence to allow Ashfield’s player in with a chance of his hat-trick but the youngster scuffed his shot into thankful hands of Pupils goal-keeper Lorne Paterson.

Knowing it was the final minute, Paterson tried to kick the ball up the field as quickly as possible only for it to cannon off the back of Euan O’May’s head! It landed back in Paterson’s hands and he quickly dispersed the ball, long up the field where the ball bounced high over everyone, only for Calum Ellis to nip in front of the Ashfield centre-half, run in on goal, calmly round the advancing goal-keeper and stroke the ball home to make it 3-2 to the Ardshield Hotel-sponsored side – much to the delight of his fellow team mates and coaches.

Ellis who has now scored seven goals in the Under 15s’ opening four games.

This weekend the team will enjoy a free fixture due before playing at home to Glasgow Boys Club on Sunday October 6.