‘Gutsy away performance’ as Pupils share the spoils

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall.

However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.

The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.


We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

FC Argyle 3

Campbeltown Pupils 3

SAFL Premier One

The McFadyen sponsored Pupils FC collected their seventh draw of the current season.

In a season which has seen the greatest number of games ending with shared points since the club entered the SAFL system in 1977/78.

Nevertheless, over ninety minutes this was a gutsy away performance by the visitors, a team who have proved time and again that they will not be easily beaten.

This is specially encouraging given the relative inexperience within the club’s emerging squad.

The game opened in explosive fashion when the Pupils used the width of the pitch to create an opportunity for Bailey Freeman.

The youngster’s well-judged parting volley found the net from 18yards – his first Pupils goal and only five minutes on the clock.

Argyle, however: were in no mood to be passive, replying almost immediately.

A fine cross from the right was headed home by ex-Haldane striker, Ross Davies, a man with a history of causing problems for unsuspecting defences.

The Pupils regained the lead midway through the first half.

A fine through ball allowed Sary Rahma to outpace the home defence and score with a low drive beyond the advancing goalkeeper – a typical goal from the Pupils jet-paced front man.

However, the visitors failed to learn from earlier lessons, and were punished in similar fashion when centre forward, Davies, scored once more with a towering header to bring the scores level at half time.

Discussions at the break must have involved attention to marking at the cross ball, as the visitors appeared to be more comfortable in the second period against the home side’s tall front runners.

Nevertheless, a change in tactics saw Argyle grab the lead early in the second period, a through ball exposing Pupil’s goalkeeper, Alastair Ferguson, to a one-on-one situation with striker Thomas Kelly who scored with ease.

For a short time, the visitors stood firm during the home side’s best spell of the match, and showed their mettle by bouncing back with an equalising goal in the 74th minute.

A speculative effort, inside the box, from Sary Rahma was parried by the home keeper, but only into the path of the incoming Ryan Deans who brought the scores level – a fine strike from an in-form player.

It was all to play for, and the Pupils could have won in the closing stages when Keith Mitchell weaved his way into the penalty box, only to be chopped from behind.

The player tried to retain his balance, but eventually tumbled to the ground.

In the games only controversial moment, the referee allowed play to continue for advantage.

The game ended in a hard fought, but for both sides, probably a fair share of the points.

Campbeltown Pupils travel to Kings Park Rangers tomorrow.