Want to read more?
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards
A father and son’s racial abuse trial which was adjourned in November for two months has been further delayed until March.
Witnesses, lawyers, a translator and court staff were all in Campbeltown Sheriff Court for Tuesday’s sitting but due to the ill-health of one of the accused, it could not go ahead.
Graeme Thomas Carlyle, aged 59, of 99 Kirkwood Street, Clydebank and Graeme Robert Carlyle, aged 39, of 20 Shore Street, Campbeltown, were charged with shouting racially abusive remarks and making threats towards a Polish couple at Kilmashenachan Caravan Park, Southend, in June last year.
Carlyle Sr’s defence agent, Mark Chambers, told the court that his client had been admitted to hospital the day before and was unfit to participate in the trial.
He said: ‘My client says he feels like he is going to pass out and that he cannot concentrate.
‘In the interests of justice, I am duty bound to make this motion [to adjourn the trial].’
Continuing the trial until March 5, Sheriff Valerie Johnston said she was concerned about the waste of court time.