Tennis singles players strung out in tough tiebreak

Want to read more?

At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall.

However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.

To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.

The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.


We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Subscribe Now

By Mark Davey

A dentist drilled out a convincing victory in Campbeltown Lawn Tennis Club’s men’s singles championship.

Sary Rahma and paramedic Jamie Morris played five sets each to reach the final, last Saturday, under scorching sun.

Just half a dozen men’s tennis players turned up at 10am to chase singles glory.

Usually players are split into at least two groups for the opening competition to decide who plays in the semi-finals.

With MOK Fest two weeks earlier than in 2017 there was much to tempt players away, such as the Carni-West parade and later Up the Close.

For one player the draw of cutting silage proved irresistible and Martin McCallum, who tasted doubles success the previous week, was away for birthday celebrations.

This year it was decided that every player would play each other in the opening rounds meaning it would take at least five sets to reach the final.

First round results were as follows: Sary Rahma: 6-0, 6-0, 6-1, 6-1,6-2; Thomas Jordan: 6-1, 6-0, 2-6, 1-6, 6-3; Alasdair Ferguson: 1-6, 4-6, 6-0, 0-6, 2-6; Millar Irwin: 0-6, 6-4, 1-6, 6-0, 3-6; Jamie Morris: 6-0, 0-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-0; Mark Davey: 0-6, 0-6, 0-6, 0-6, 2-6.

If Rahma thought it might be easy after winning his qualifier against Morris 6-0, he was in for a shock, as it appeared Morris was just warming up in the earlier contest.

At first Morris demolished Rahma, achieving 4-0 before a deuce situation, in the fifth, which Morris won to put him 5-1 up.

Rahma held his next serve for 2-5 and his comeback began. He took just four points to win the next game, faced and won deuce in the 10th to level at 5-5.

With a small group of spectators having eschewed MOK Fest’s music for the drama on court, Rahma went ahead in the 11th, 6-5, before Morris served his way back in to force a tiebreak, which he seemed to win with ease.

In the second set Rahma took the first four games, being held to a deuce just once, before a return of form saw Morris net a pair for 2-4. From that point Rahma was unbeatable winning the set 6-2.

In the third, Rahma’s resolve hardened and, as MOK Fest’s rock music filled the air, he took a well deserved 6-0 win, to add a new name on the Dickson trophy.

For more tennis see page 51.

The finalists from left: runner-up Jamie Morris and winner Sary Rahma. 25_c33tennissingles04

Jamie Morris in the final set. 25_c33tennissingles06

A powerful double-handed backhand from Jamie Morris. 25_c33tennissingles08

The six singles championship players from left: Sary Rahma, Thomas Jordan, Miller Irwin, Mark Davey, Jamie Morris and Alasdair Ferguson. 25_c33tennissingles02