Want to read more?
At the start of the pandemic in March we took the decision to make online access to our news free of charge by taking down our paywall. At a time where accurate information about Covid-19 was vital to our community, this was the right decision – even though it meant a drop in our income. In order to help safeguard the future of our journalism, the time has now come to reinstate our paywall.
However, rest assured that access to all Covid related news will still remain free.
To access all other news will require a subscription, as it did pre-pandemic.
The good news is that for the whole of December we will be running a special discounted offer to get 3 months access for the price of one month. Thank you for supporting us during this incredibly challenging time.
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.
Every home in Scotland will be required to have a minimum number of smoke alarms when the Scottish Government brings in new fire safety legislation.
Changes to the Housing (Scotland) Act will mean that all private homes must have at least one smoke alarm installed in the room most frequently used, at least one smoke alarm in spaces such as hallways and landings, and at least one heat alarm in every kitchen, as well as a carbon monoxide detector.
There will be a 10-year age limit for alarms, with all alarms having to be ceiling-mounted, and they should be interlinked.
The changes have been announced after a Scottish Government consultation on fire and smoke alarms, launched after the Grenfell Tower blaze in London last year.
The news was welcomed by Campbeltown fire station watch commander Ronnie Souden.
He said: ‘Although smoke alarms do not prevent fires, they raise the alarm quicker and reduce the severity.
‘We would strongly recommend any person living in a domestic property to follow legislation, as this is for their safety.
‘The fire service has attended a lot of alarm calls where, if it hadn’t been for smoke alarms, the fires would have been much more severe.’
Mr Souden urged people to ensure batteries are fitted in smoke alarms at all times.
He said: ‘Unfortunately, we have attended some incidents where smoke alarms have been fitted but the batteries have been removed. We strongly recommend this practice should stop.’
Housing minister Kevin Stewart said that the ‘tragic’ events at Grenfell, where 71 people died, emphasised the importance of building and fire safety, which is why the government brought forward its consultation on the issue.
He said: ‘Now everyone will benefit from the same level of protection, whether you own your home, or rent from a social or private landlord.’
Argyll Community Housing Association’s chief executive, Alastair MacGregor, told the Courier that all its properties currently comply with or surpass Scottish Government guidance.
He said: ‘As part of ACHA investing in and improving our properties we are fitting mains-wired smoke alarms and heat detectors in many of our properties to ensure that we continue to exceed the new regulations.’
The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service offers free home fire safety visits to domestic properties, which can be arranged by phoning 08000 731 999 or by texting text ‘FIRE’ to 80800.