Want to read more?
We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Campbeltown Courier – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.
It’s not too late to appear on the Honours Board at Campbeltown Picture House, with 46 seats still remain to be sponsored.
The Honours Board will soon be situated just inside the door to the passage behind the main auditorium. There are some interesting stories behind some of the dedications, and Campbeltown Community Business would love to have more links in this historic building to people from Campbeltown and Kintyre’s past.
One dedication reads ‘In memory of John & Mary McKellar of Campbeltown and Vancouver’, but the story behind those words is of their family of six children who all had exceptional careers, none more so than Andrew John.
He was the first to show that outer space was not a vacuum, discovered the scientific basis for the ‘Big Bang’ and was expected to win the Nobel Prize for his work, but sadly died of cancer and the prize cannot be awarded posthumously.
Another is ‘In memory of Major General W.H.S. Nickerson, VC, CB, CMG’. He lived and is buried at Cour on the Kintyre peninsula, so the Campbeltown Picture House was his local cinema.
General Nickerson was a 25 year old lieutenant in the Royal Army Medical Corps of the British Army, attached to the Mounted Infantry during the Second Boer War when his actions at Wakkerstroom led to the award of the Victoria Cross.
His citation reads: ‘At Wakkerstroom, on the evening of the 20th April 1900, during the advance of the Infantry to support the Mounted Troops, Lieutenant Nickerson went, in the most gallant manner, under a heavy rifle and shell fire, to attend a wounded man, dressed his wounds, and remained with him till he had him conveyed to a place of safety.’
A most generous donation came from Gloria Siggins in memory of the success of a film sponsored by her father, A.E. Bundy, first shown in 1927. ‘The Battle of Coronel and Falkland Islands’ (1914) was restored by the British Film Institute to commemorate the centenary of the Great War.
It was an ambitious production, casting Germans as German naval officers so soon after the end of the war. It was also very well received in Germany
for the fair reconstruction of a most dramatic event in 1914, which was the Royal Navy’s first defeat in 100 years, but was followed inevitably by victory in retaliation a few months later in the Falkland Islands.
There are so many other commemorations and names from the past: Alexander Malcolm MacIntyre, Agnes Forgan, Granny Hamilton, John McKerral, the Carroll family who came to Kintyre to build the Lussa Dam in the ‘50s and Miss Mary McMillan, a favourite primary school teacher.
If these final 46 seats can be sponsored, the remaining funding gap can
be greatly reduced. CCB is so thrilled with the response to the renaissance of the cinema from the public and look forward to welcoming everyone for many years to come.