Dookers denied in more away day blues

Allan Blair in action in a pre-season friendly against Carradale.

Want to read more?

We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards.

Already a subscriber?


Problems logging in and require
technical support? Click here
Subscribe Now

Tarbert travelled to play Paisley looking to end their ‘away-day’ hoodoo in the league which has saw them lose every game so far this season.

Last Saturday’s match began as it set to continue with Tarbert arriving promptly before 1pm, in preparation for the usual 2pm kick off, only to find out that the match was in fact at 3pm.

The tie itself began at a frenetic pace with neither team settling into any kind of rhythm in the early stages.

Dookers had a few passing moves down the left side and created a couple of openings only for the final ball to let them down.

Paisley looked dangerous with their long diagonals and from crosses into the box but for the opening 20 minutes neither keeper had a great deal to do.

Hesitation in the Tarbert defence mid-way through the first half led to the opening goal as the Paisley midfielder was allowed to swerve his way through into the box and slot home into the bottom corner.

Fair to say that the home side were coping better with the surface as Dookers struggled to get a passing rhythm going. They were limited to a couple of long range efforts from Smith and MacDougall in the first half.

Paisley hit the woodwork late in the first half as Tarbert battled to stay in the match and get to half time at just one goal down.

The second half had a similar feel to it although Tarbert had better possession than the first and created clearer cut chances.

The best of these came as a cross into the Paisley box caused chaos and the ball was cleared off the goal line three times.

The first of these appeared to strike a Paisley arm and the third looked to have crossed the line. The referee waved the appeals away and the score remained 1-0.

This proved pivotal as Paisley soon made it 2-0 following a slick move.  Tarbert didn’t let their heads go down, pushed to get back into the game and nearly did so as an Allan Blair corner was met by Fraser Talbot but his header was well saved by the home keeper.

The sucker punch hit again as Paisley swept forward and what looked like a cross evaded everyone and drifted into the Tarbert net.

The only action of note, for the last ten minutes, was a sending off for Jason MacArthur two minutes after his introduction to the game.

The referee, who was as poor as anyone involved in the match can remember, decided to show two yellow cards for ‘dissent’ and ordered the player off the park without actually showing a red card.  Full time 3-0.

This week Tarbert are at home to Busby who sit above them in the table.

Dookers will be looking to continue their improved home form of late and secure a 3rd win at Cil Andreis in a row.

Allan Blair in action earlier in the season. 25_c29carradale02

Jason Macarthur who was sent off. 20_c31friendly07