Goalie scores but Pupils U16s’ attack came too late

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Campbeltown Courier – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

DFDL U16 league

Campbeltown Pupils 2
Oban Saints 3

The Pupils U16s played a close Argyll derby on the all-weather pitch against Argyllshire rivals Oban Saints.

The Campbeltown side hoped to give a better display than the previous meeting in Oban when the Saints were comfortable winners.

The Pupils had a couple of regular players missing but things were balanced a bit when Oban started with 10 men as they were unable to get a full squad together for the game.

The first half saw Oban take the game to the Pupils as they got some good passing together.

Although the Pupils were up against it for spells in the game, they were defending pretty well and were mostly able to keep the Oban attack at bay.

The home side had a couple of very good chances to get onto the scoreboard in the first half.

A hotly disputed  penalty claim was turned down. An Oban defender put both hand in front of his body and handled the ball.

Referee Neil John McPhail’s view must have been blocked as he waved play on leaving the home side and supporters furious.

The second half saw the Pupils play improve and  and they made better passes although not as well as their usual standard.

With the game at 2-0 the Pupils’ coaches replaced Archie McKellar in goal and moved him up front to try and get something from the game.

It paid off and, shortly after the change, McKellar found himself through on goal and slotted the ball home nicely to bring the Pupils back into the game.

The goal gave the team a bit of a lift and there seemed to be more confidence in their play but they received a sucker punch as Oban got on the attack.

Striker, Jordan Norman, hit a lovely shot to the keeper’s right and Saints regained their two goal cushion.

The Pupils had certainly improved and saw a bit of luck come their way.

Matthew Lang hit a left foot shot, although it was straight at the keeper, the ball found its way into the goal as the keeper’s view must have been blocked and he mistimed the ball to see it roll in.

The goal reinvigorated the Pupils’ attack as it seemed they could get something from the game. It was not to be as they ran out of time and the referee blew for full time.