Dookers defiant during Port Glasgow defeat

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Campbeltown Courier – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Port Glasgow 3, Tarbert FC 0

SAFL Premier 2

Last Saturday Tarbert travelled to Port Glasgow looking to maintain the momentum generated from the previous week’s win over high-flying Easthall Star.

The game began in wet and windy conditions with the home team taking advantage of playing with the conditions in the first half and causing Tarbert a lot of problems.

A couple of chances came and went for Port Glasgow with one cross shot striking the top of the crossbar but flying away to safety.

Dookers rode their luck for long spells and were struggling to generate real chances of their own although there were some instances where good wing play allowed forward momentum only for the final ball to disappoint.

Port Glasgow took the lead midway through the first half when a Tarbert goalkick did not reach its intended target. Their midfield number seven broke through to fire home low at the near post.

It was a deserved lead as Tarbert were yet to get going and the home side were managing the conditions and the wide 3G surface to greater effect.

It was soon 2-0 as another piece of sloppy play from the away side again allowed the Port Glasgow’s number seven to nip through and finish past the helpless Tarbert keeper for a half-time 2-0 scoreline.

Tarbert began the second half much better than the first and began to cause the home side more problems.

Some good play created a chance for MacDougall, who was unlucky to see his effort diverted off target.

Another chance came shortly as a mix up in the home defence saw the ball fall six yards out to Talbot but his shot was tame and the keeper saved.

That proved to be the telling blow as, slightly against the run of play, Port Glasgow scored a third and put the game to bed.

Tarbert had been defending well but an unfortunate clearance fell to the Port Glasgow wide man who slotted home well into the top corner.

Rather than deflating the away side, Tarbert continued to push for the remainder of the game but were unable to create many goalscoring opportunities in the Port Glasgow box.

The introduction of Andy Guy, wide on the right, sparked a late flurry of attacks as the home side tired but in the end Tarbert had little to show for their hard work and desire on the day.

The full-time 3-0 and, all in all, a deserved win for Port Glasgow.

This week Tarbert are at home to Duncanrig and will be looking for a big home support again to spur them on to three much-needed points.