Want to read more?
We value our content and access to our full site is only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards
Last week’s Courier featured an article in which officials of the Red Cross made comments.
Contrary to the tone of the comments, the local committee were not in accord with this submission.
The closure was declared as a fait accompli and there was no consultation with the local volunteers before the declaration.
The Red Cross Hall is more than just a hall. It is the centre of Campbeltown Red Cross activities.
All fundraising is centred around the hall and for many years Kintyre has outperformed much larger towns in Scotland in raising money for the Red Cross.
It is the facility in which equipment for medical loan is housed.
It was used as a training facility for first aid until the Red Cross chose to move this service elsewhere.
The local group raised money to help purchase the Red Cross mini-bus which is now based in Lochgilphead.
A few years ago, after the major snow storm which disrupted power supplies to Kintyre, the local volunteers had the hall wired so that a generator could immediately be brought in to provide elderly or vulnerable people warmth and nourishment.
The use of this facility by community groups for their own fundraising activities provides a steady income to the Red Cross which means that the maintenance costs are minimal.
The consequences of closure mean that the local group will require to find premises for meetings, fundraising, storage of medical loan equipment and emergency response equipment.
There may be good reason for closing some of the 62 Red Cross Centres facing closure but the Kintyre Centre most definitely does not fall in to that category.
D A H Cousin,