Friendly fire between Kintyre’s Reds and Blues

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

By Mark Davey

Kintyre Reds 4

Kintyre Blues 3

While boats from Tarbert, Carradale and Campbeltown searched Loch Fyne for missing skipper Duncan (TT) MacDougall and crewman Przemek Krawczyk footballers paused for a minute’s silence.

Lochgilphead referee, Jimmy Litster, led 24 players who stood with bowed heads, specially honouring Tarbert AFC’s TT, who played for the club for more than 30 years and played alongside many Kintyre footballers in Argyll Select sides.

It was a match organised very quickly with players registered in Kintyre looking for a game and it turned out to be a good winter’s afternoon.

The original concept for last Saturday’s match was that the Reds would be over 35-years-old but in the event many Blues were older and the teams well balanced.

The Renton twins took to the park for the Reds which caused some consternation about identification.

Carradale’s Nonnie MacAlister said that he wanted to give some players a chance to get a full 90 minutes. Robert McGarrie took a spell and Keith Mathieson pulled on his boots, apparently for the first time in five years.

At least five Campbeltown Pupils gave the game some added spice.

The Reds should have scored in the first 15 seconds but Sary Rahma’s shot drifted across the goalmouth.

Both sides had plenty of chances but it was not unitl the 25th minute that the Red’s Donald McCallum’s cross went into the top corner of the goal.

Dougie Renton put the Reds 2-0 up when a corner was cleared. With a bit of space and time, the former Campbeltown Boys’ player showed he still has great control, chesting the ball onto his foot and half volleying into the net.

Charles Turner missed a great chance two yards from the goal but shut his eyes as the ball approached and missed.

A couple of minutes before the break, Stuart MacBrayne headed a looping ball over Robert Todd to put the Blues on the scoreboard.

On the hour Liam Renton tried his luck from long range, McMillan lost the ball in flight and the Reds were 3-1 up.

Jamie Morris set up Turner but once again he failed to find the target.

Reds fourth and Dougie Renton’s second came from another long range shot in the 68th minute.

Blues’ Stuart MacBrayne had gone off with a thigh cramp and swapped boots with his U16s’ brother Fraser, but declined to swap shorts on the sideline, so Fraser headed out in his tracksuit.

Within moments he was taking a corner. He lobbed a perfect ball to Turner who made no mistake, with a wonderful half back kick, leaving Todd no chance.

The loudest whoop was from MacAlister as Turner celebrated his goal.

A low strike from Stuart MacPhail just outside the box gave Blues their third, in the last five minutes and wrapped up a very even tussle.

Tomorrow Campbeltown Pupils take on Ferguslie Star at home and Carradale entertain Bellaire. Both games are expected to be on the 3G times tbc.

Both teams lined  up for the minute’s silence. 25_c04respect01_a_minutes_silence

Darren Renton has a shot on goal. 25_c04friendly06

Dougie Renton lost the ball from this corner but scored moments later. 25_c04friendly04

Injured Stuart MacBrayne, watched by his girlfriend Kathryn Howell, swapped kit with his younger brother U16 player Fraser. 25_c04friendly01

Stuart MacBrayne tackles Sary Rahma. 25_c04friendly08