From our files, January 19 2018

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now


Friday 18 January, 2008

The great cycle mystery

When Colin Stalker became proprietor of The Cycle Shop in Longrow, Campbeltown, he little thought that he would have to turn into a detective.

He has the mystery of the unclaimed bikes to solve, as along with the shop and stock came 14 unclaimed bikes left there to be repaired.

Colin reckons that there must be bikes to the total value of £1,000 lying unclaimed.

‘I’ll only be able to keep them for three months before I have to dispose of them, I’ve new stock coming into the shop,’ he said. So far he has been able to track down the owners of four of them.

Colin is well known in the local cycling world, being a member of the Kintyre Cycle Club. The club helps the Forestry Commission keep the Beinn Ghuilean mountain bike track in good repair and new members are always welcome.


Friday 22 January, 1993

Grandmother relives fire horror…


A Campbeltown grandmother this week told of her terror after surviving a blaze that ripped through her home…’We could have died!’ she said.

Seventy year old Mary Meaker and two grandsons had a miraculous escape from the inferno which engulfed their home.

Flames swept through Mile End Cottage, just outside Campbeltown, causing devastation. Grandmother Mary, who has lived there all her life, and Jaeger worker Peter Wilson, 19, were alerted when 20-year-old James Wilson, an apprentice electrician, stumbled across thick black smoke belching through a door at 3am last Wednesday.

‘I only got out of bed to go to the toilet, and I saw the thick smoke coming through a door. My immediate reaction was simply to get everyone out of there – I didn’t dare open that door.’

Mary was left reeling by the blaze. It took her several days to even venture back into her blackened home.


Thursday 18 January, 1968


£3,000 worth of damage was caused at Campbeltown’s new grammar school, still under construction, when a hurricane swept Kintyre at 104 m.p.h. early on Monday morning.

Gusts reaching 120 m.p.h. completely demolished brick walls, ripped off the felt covering of the music room roof, reduced the workmen’s canteen to a tangled mess of metal and wood and blew the roofs off several other sheds at the site.

Many roofs were de-slated in the Ralston Road area and several garden sheds were blown away. Television aerials also suffered damage.

At Mafeking Place, a glass roof caved in. Nearby, at Eaglesome’s shop, a plate-glass window was smashed to pieces.

It was the same story at the Calton housing scheme, with many slates becoming dislodged, windows being blown in and sheds being wrecked.


Saturday January 19, 1917

Sunday Gamblers Caught

At the Police Court on Wednesday Bailie Campbell had before him five lads all charged with having assembled at the Old Quay at about mid-day on Sunday, 30th December, for the purpose of playing cards for money.

All pleaded guilty. It appeared that the lads had been hidden behind some herring boxes and had a small boy posted as a look-out to warn them of the approach of the police.

The police, however, had circumvented the look-out and came upon the boys in the act of playing and when money was passing between them.

The Bailie gave the accused a severe lecture on the heinousness of their offence and each was fined 20s or 10 days imprisonment. They were allowed a week to pay the fines.