From our files, December 15, 2017

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Campbeltown Courier – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Friday December 14, 2007
Connor and pals walk for RNLI
Young Connor Thompson went out his way to raise £1,097.65 for Campbeltown RNLI, after his grandfather went missing in a boating accident in August of this year.

Connor asked people in the town to sponsor him to walk up Bengullion and an army of friends, including his father Steven, who was also rescued from the boat, and Buddy the dog, joined him in his three-hour trek.

Friday December 18, 1992
Fishermen on the march
Outraged fishermen from Campbeltown, Carradale and Tarbert were part of the mass demonstration in Edinburgh, protesting against the government’s controversial Sea Fish (Conservation) Bill.

It is feared the reverberations from the Bill will be ‘catastrophic’ for Kintyre.

The huge turnout of more than 6,000 – including around 140 from the area – left the government in no doubt about the strength of opposition to the Bill, which has forced massive restrictions onto the Scottish fishing fleet.

The demonstration was made all the more vital in the light of news that the EC has tabled their own massive tie-up proposals which, if they take a grip, could sink the Scottish fleet.

Coachloads of incensed Kintyre fishermen made the trip to the capital on Friday December 11, with around 50 from each of the three main fishing communities on board.

Campbeltown fisherman Cecil Finn was one of the speakers at the demonstration.

‘There was a huge turnout for the rally, with everyone up in arms about this Bill,’ he said.

‘It has been introduced against our wishes, and looks set to restrict our days at sea to an even greater extent. We are totally against it.

‘The frustrating thing is it is such an unnecessary Bill. If fish stocks are as scarce as scientists say they are, this would be a totally unviable business.

The reason fishermen are at risk is that this government refuses to take part in the EEC decommissioning scheme, which is what we want.’

Thursday December 21, 1967
Eddy Stone breaks leg in rock fall
A PROMOSING young Campbeltown footballer met with an accident on Sunday afternoon.

Fourteen-year-old Eddy Stone, hailed as one of the ‘wee toon’s’ best football discoveries, fell into a ravine, fracturing his left leg and right foot, while on an exercise with the local Army Cadet Force at the Second Waters.

The mishap was caused when Eddy missed his footing on the treacherously slippery rock surface.

His moans for help were heard by other cadets and several boys jumped onto the icy burn to help him out.

When Eddy was resting safely on a ledge, the cadets, under Sgt-Instructor Peter Scott, applied their first-aid knowledge and made a rough stretcher.

Meanwhile, 12-year-olds Neil Livingstone and Norrie O’May raced two miles to Auchenhoan Farm to telephone for an ambulance.

Saturday December 15, 1917
Boys’ extraordinary escapade
FOUR boys – two of 12 and two of 13 years of age – appeared before Sheriff Macmaster Campbell at the Sheriff Court on Saturday charged with having on various dates, between October 1 and November 15, broken into the store and bakehouse in High Street occupied by the Campbeltown Co-operative Society, Ltd, and stolen 30lbs. raisons, 60lbs. currants, 60lbs. sugar, 3lbs. flour, and 2oz cocoa.

Three of the parents, who are members of the Co-operative Society, were present in court, and stated that the boys had been severely punished when their conduct came to their knowledge.

It appeared that the accused, on the several occasions on which they had got access to the bakehouse, had made scones in the oven.

The procurator fiscal, in explaining the charge, characterised it as capable of being regarded as more a case of mischief than deliberate theft.