Carradale buzzing as Busby beaten

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Campbeltown Courier – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Busby Ams 2

Carradale 4


At the break things were looking sticky for Carradale who faced a Busby squad, one nil up, with many more reinforcements than two week’s previously in Kintyre.

Both teams were the only two not contesting the Scottish Cup last weekend so took the opportunity for a league tie.

The Glasgow outfit won the toss and decided to play down wind and slope, on the excellently prepared grass park.

Busby took the lead, after six minutes, when their centre mid-fielder, number eight, struck a beautiful low sizzler into the back left of the net.

It did not deter the Kintyre side who attacked constantly but it was a very even game and Busby had many more subs available than at the away game.

After 29 minutes Carradale had a chance when the Busby centre half back passed to the goalie. ‘Dale’s latest signing, Johnny O’Neil latched onto the pass but as he shot for goal a defender cleared it .

A minute before the half-time whistle ‘Dale’s keeper, Neil McMillan, saved the Kintyre side’s blushes, when he made a great diving stop from a one on one situation with a Busby attacker.

In the first five minutes after the break, the McFadyens Transport sponsored, ‘Dale turned the score on its head. Stuart MacPhail was brought down 22 yards from goal. David Johnstone took the free kick, which the Busby keeper saved, but only as far as ‘Dale’s right back, John Williams, who was fast to react and slotted the ball home.

Three minutes later, Lewis Norris, 30 yards from goal, passed to MacPhail who shrugged off two defenders and sent the ball to O’Neil whose low crisp shot went into the right corner of the net.

‘Dale could have increased their lead, in the 33rd minute, when a long kick out, from McMillan, caught Busby square and gave Stuart Macbrayne a good chance but his lobbed shot landed on top of the net.

The game was not finished and in the 61st minute a Busby header levelled it at 2-2 leaving the two sides evenly poised for about 14 minutes.

In the 76th minute DJ scored from a MacBrayne pass, his low shot beating the keeper at the near post.

Within four minutes Carradale sealed their victory.

The visitors had gained a corner on the right, the ball was cleared to Euan McIlroy who was brought down in the box. He dusted himself off for the resulting penalty and sent a hard shot into the top of the net.

The man of the match was Daniel Docherty. Tomorrow Carradale take on South Lochaber Thistle in Campbeltown on the 3G pitch at 2pm.