Determined U13s battle back for great win

Want to read more?

We value our content and our journalists, so to get full access to all your local news updated 7-days-a-week – PLUS an e-edition of the Campbeltown Courier – subscribe today for as little as 56 pence per week.

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

Campbeltown Pupils 2005s  7

Dumbarton Riverside 2005s 4

DFDL 2005s

A spirited fight back resulted in Campbeltown Pupils Youth 2005s gaining all three points last Sunday.

With 15 minutes played the Kintyre side found themselves 3-0 down to the young side from West Dunbartonshire.

The visitors showed no signs of their journey to Kintyre racing to a 1-0 lead in the opening eight minutes before adding another two to leave the Pupils shell-shocked.

It’s a good measure of any side to keep their heads up and the Campbeltown side pulled one back after thirty minutes.

Owen Reid pounced on a loose ball 10 yards out to unleash a powerful half volley to make it 3-1.

With spirits lifted the Pupils took control and pulled another one back with virtually the last kick of the half.

A flighted pass from Reid was head flicked on by the smallest player on the park, as Calum Ellis out jumped his marker to head the ball on to the path of Ryan Shields who coolly slotted the ball past the advancing Riverside keeper.

Back in the game the youngsters started to believe they could find another goal and ten minutes in to the second half Calum Ellis made it 3-3.

Almost immediately from the kick off Dumbarton Riverside were to take the lead.

Scott Oman, who was having a fine game in goal for the Pupils, nicked the Riverside forward and a penalty was awarded.  The big number 18 stepped up and gave the visitors the lead.

Undeterred, the Pupils brought the game to the visitors and it was Shields  who made it 4-4.  The former Dalintober primary pupil has scored 11 goals in four games for the Pupils.

And it was the other Pupils striker who was to give his side the lead for the first time – outpacing the Riverside defence, Ellis got his second of the game as he kept his cool to side foot the ball home.

With six minutes to go Ellis got his hat-trick.  Following fine play by Stuart Phillips on the left Ellis scored his tenth of the season when he dribbled past two defenders to finish in style – much to the delight if his team mates and the crowd at the 3G pitch on Kinloch Green.

The Arshiel hotel and restaurant sponsored Pupils side were finishing the game strong and with two minutes to go, Ellis outpaced the defence once again and unselfishly cut the ball back for Ethan Parker to make the final score 7-4.

It was a tremendous fight back from the Pupils U13s and every one of the squad should be massively proud of their efforts.

This weekend the U13s travel to play Helensburgh in the DFDL.   Kick off is 2pm at the Hermitage Academy

Ryan Shields in goalmouth action after the U13s second corner. 25_c40U13s2005s19_ryan_shields

Michael Campbell a 2006 from Tarbert who has just joined the side. 25_c40U13s2005s23

Goal celebrations. 25_c40U13s2005s29_toe_poke