Clachan pulls together to clean up after flash floods

Want to read more?

We value our content  and access to our full site is  only available on subscription. Your subscription entitles you to 7-day-a-week access to our website, plus a full digital copy of that week’s paper to read on your pc/mac or mobile device In addition your subscription includes access to digital archive copies from 2006 onwards

Already a subscriber?
Subscribe Now

A CLEAR UP operation was under way in Clachan, Kintyre, on Thursday August 30 2012 after flash floods devastated the village the day before.

Residents were out in force removing debris from gardens, pulling out ruined carpets and surveying the damage from the worst flood to hit the Argyll village any of them could remember.

Staff from Argyll and Bute Council’s roads department were also on the scene, repairing areas of road surface that had been torn apart by the flood waters.

The flash flood hit soon after 3pm, when a thunderstorm was followed by around an hour of torrential rain.

There were two sources of the devastation, one where the burn overflowed its bank next to the A83, and another where water from a different source rushed down the hill into the village.

Resident Calum MacLean described the torrent rushing down the hill past his house as  ‘like Canadian rapids in full spate’.

The grounds of Clachan Primary School were inundated, with teachers and children unable to leave when classes finished.

Head teacher Catherine Black praised the spirit of the community as everyone pulled together to help.

‘We wouldn’t have been able to get home if Phil Connors hadn’t come with his tractor and removed the chunks of tarmac blocking the road,’ she said. ‘There were parents coming in with shovels asking how they could help. Everyone has pulled together and it’s shown what a strong community this is.’

For more on this story and how Clachan has coped see the Campbeltown Courier edition of September 7 2012, also available on line at from the same date.

A foot bridge is almost swept away by debris